In 1812, Samuel Fielding Glass, Sr. moved to Franklin from Winchester, Virginia and bought lot #68 on Main Street and opened a hat making business. His son Samuel Fielding Glass, Jr. began buying land for this farm in 1848 and in just a few years he amassed over 1000 acres, also buying farms for each of his four children. Early receipts tell us he was a farmer of cotton and raised dairy cows as well as hogs. In the early 1900's the family moved to town and rented the farm and the main house to tenant farmers. The Gentrys moved back to the farm in 1975 and today three families live on the almost 400 acre farm. Today, Samuel Fielding Glass, Jr.’s great-great grandson Allen Gentry and great-great-great grandson Jase Gentry continue operating the family farm.
The main brick house was begun by Samuel Fielding Glass, Jr. before the Civil War. An early receipt describes work done on the stone foundation for S. F. Glass for $79.50. The stone mason goes on to say “we agree to return and complete his foundation for his house after the present political troubles have passed...” The receipt is dated April 24, 1861 just days after Fort Sumter was fired on. Other receipts lead us to believe the house was finished soon after the war. Bricks were laid in 1868 — doors, mantles, and blinds were ordered in September of 1868 (one wooden door 7’ by 3’3” for $8). Walls were plastered in March 1870 and wall paper was ordered at the same time (example: 64 rolls of marble paper for the hall cost $32.20). Carpet and curtains were bought in early 1870 (examples: 55 yards of Brussels carpet at $90.75). Several receipts for rooms full of furniture are dated 1870 (examples: 3 wardrobes, 2 dozen chairs, 3 bedsteads, 5 bureaus, 3 washstand, a looking glass for $120 and a marble top table for $20).
The frame portion of the home was moved in 1983 from a low-lying area of the farm. The early 1800’s double pen, one and a half story, dogtrot log structure was moved to the farm in 1986 from Goodlettsville. The numbered logs were cleaned and reconstructed adjacent to the frame house to make room for a growing family.
This log cabin was renovated and added to in 1984. The original structure, built in the early 1800’s with a beautiful sandstone chimney, is the oldest building on the farm.