In 1812, Samuel Fielding Glass, Sr. moved to Franklin from Winchester, Virginia and bought lot #68 on Main Street and opened a hat making business. His son Samuel Fielding Glass, Jr. began buying land for this farm in 1848 and in just a few years he amassed over 1000 acres, also buying farms for each of his four children. Early receipts tell us he was a farmer of cotton and raised dairy cows as well as hogs. In the early 1900's the family moved to town and rented the farm and the main house to tenant farmers. The Gentrys moved back to the farm in 1975 and today three families live on the almost 400 acre farm. Today, Samuel Fielding Glass, Jr.’s great-great grandson Allen Gentry and great-great-great grandson Jase Gentry continue operating the family farm.