The main brick house was begun by Samuel Fielding Glass, Jr. before the Civil War. An early receipt describes work done on the stone foundation for S. F. Glass for $79.50. The stone mason goes on to say “we agree to return and complete his foundation for his house after the present political troubles have passed...” The receipt is dated April 24, 1861 just days after Fort Sumter was fired on. Other receipts lead us to believe the house was finished soon after the war. Bricks were laid in 1868 — doors, mantles, and blinds were ordered in September of 1868 (one wooden door 7’ by 3’3” for $8). Walls were plastered in March 1870 and wall paper was ordered at the same time (example: 64 rolls of marble paper for the hall cost $32.20). Carpet and curtains were bought in early 1870 (examples: 55 yards of Brussels carpet at $90.75). Several receipts for rooms full of furniture are dated 1870 (examples: 3 wardrobes, 2 dozen chairs, 3 bedsteads, 5 bureaus, 3 washstand, a looking glass for $120 and a marble top table for $20).